Pursuing Life Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prioritizing...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PursuingLife.com Forum Index -> Getting Started With Bible Memory
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much time you spend in Bible Memorization?
1. None
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
2. only in my spare time (not much)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3. some every now and then
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
4. some regularly
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
5. half of my quiet time
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
6. most of my quiet time
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

JMB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Prioritizing... Reply with quote

I would like to memorize but I don't know if it is the best use of my time. As most people I have a limited amount of time in the morning and have many subjects and things that I would like to study. What is your opinion, how high of a priority should bible memorization take?
Lavern
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your post! You asked a good question.

You have probably heard the saying, "What you do with the Bible, determines what God does with you."

I think it's great to take the time you have to learn things that will be useful in the future. But many of us have responsibilities and things that keep us going so much of the time, and it's very easy to let "good" things crowd out the "best" things, like sitting at His feet and learning of Him through His Word and in prayer.

I believe Bible memory is one of those "best" things. I am not saying you shouldn't spend any of your free time doing other things. Neither do I think you should memorize Scripture every time you open your Bible. But Bible memorization is one of the most rewarding and fulfilling things you can do!

My encouragement is to start with a chapter or book that you are fairly familiar with and work your way through it without neglecting other "best" things. I suggest you write your verse or verses for the day on a 3x5 index card in the morning, then take it with you through the day. That way you can easily memorize through the day if you get a chance; otherwise just try to spend some time in the evening before you go to bed.

May God bless you! I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have or read my article on Bible memorization on the Bible memory page. Smile
Waudenna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the message from JMB with interest - as a good questions should, it started me thinking about not only what I say about the importance of memorization, but how I work it in, and also how it has been used in my life.

I like what Lavern had to say about not memorizing to the exclusion of other studies - memorize in 'addition', rather than 'instead-of.' Memorization is one important thing we can do to grow in the Lord, but it is one of many.

However, I have found the time spent in memorization is more than made up by the increased efficiency of my study time, so I have not suffered any loss in that area. Even more importantly, though, is how God has brought the memorized verses into my mind in spirit when I was in need, either for myself, or for someone else.

How much time do I actually spend with my memorization? Right now, I have several projects going - I have about 70 verses I review once a day, usually while on the road to/from work (isolated roads, I know the verses well, so only glance at the reference) around 10 minutes. I have Memlock on a computer, and while I know Drake recommends one verse a week, I have not been able to go that slowly. I think I have had the program about 3 weeks, and have 17 verses on rotating review on the computer. This takes about 5 minutes, and I generally try to run through them 3 or 4 times a day. I am just starting to memorize Ephesians again. I had about 1 1/2 chapters at one time, but quite, didn't review, so have lost what I gained. I will be spending about 15 minutes a day learning, and probably another 5 - 10 reviewing.

That may sound like a lot of time, but most of it is done during road time, when I would not be able to do much of anything else. Since I am unable to go to church, I feel that I need to spend more time attempting to learn and grow than church members, and this is one thing I can do to assist myself responsibly.

Any second spent memorizing scripture is well spent, review can be done anytime, anywhere that your mind does not have to be actively involved in something else. The greatest thing is knowing that you have select portions of God's Word as a part of your very essence. While God promises that He never leaves us, somehow I find it much easier to remember when His Word is within me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PursuingLife.com Forum Index -> Getting Started With Bible Memory All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: