Pursuing Life Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Struggling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PursuingLife.com Forum Index -> Staying Zealously Affected
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Struggling Reply with quote

Lavern (and others),
I know you've probably seen some of my messages on the Bible Memory list from memoryverses.org, but I've got to tell ya-
I'm really struggling with loneliness as far as Bible Memory goes.
I had started a group at my church focused on Bible memory and I really felt (and believe I was) led by God to do so. There was conviction on my part and on others in my congregation and too many "coincidences."
We had seven monthly meetings with very weak attendance and little or no participation from others. The group died when people just stopped showing up altogether.
At first I was mad and disgusted how others weren't following through on their own convictions and good intentions.
Now I really feel lonely and sad and sometimes working on my memory verses just brings that sadness out.
Please pray for me that God will turn this around.
Of course I know He can, but it's hard to be called into something by God that He knew was going to fail by any reasonable standard. I know and believe there's a reason, but right now I'm just hurting.
Also, I'm glad to have found a small community on the web, but to be honest, I am a real face to face kind of person.
Know what my dream is? To have a Bible Memory Group meeting in my house once a month or so, enjoying fellowship and sharing and reciting and just enjoying God's provision of His Word and each other.
I really don't know if that will ever happen.
I hope to come out of this a stronger person in the Lord, and I really need His help.
-Meg
Megan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Receiving Strength Reply with quote

This may sound silly, but I felt stronger just after putting up my "struggling" post yesterday.
I think I was stronger because I was finally honest about why I was struggling- feeling hurt and lonely. I am not the type that likes to admit such things. I've had to "be strong" through other things and I was just trying to "be strong" about this too. Now that it's out in the open, I feel like picking up and keeping on, even if I'm by myself in my local area.
I'm almost done with Hebrews 10:36 - 12:2. It started to feel really long and drawn out there for a while, but I'm almost done now! I was really shocked yesterday to see how close I was to the end.
Take care all!
-Meg
Lavern
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meg:

Your perseverance in memorizing the Bible is an inspiring example for us to keep on even when there is no one else around who can help us stay motivated.

Does anyone know about a group that gets together to discuss Bible memory in or close to Tennessee?
Meg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: groups Reply with quote

I wish I did.
I wish I could fly everyone here to Baltimore for a party!...The very first ever National Scripture Memory Bash! Sadly, I think all of us would fit in my little house! I can only wonder why the Lord has us scattered so far apart. What is He up to?
Lets all pray for others nearby.
empyrean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Struggling Reply with quote

Arrow Well, Meg, Since I'm about 80 miles from Baltimore, and I'd love to meet once a month to review scripture memory, techinques, experiences, etc., do you think we could set up something amicable to us both?

After all, with only 2 schedules to coordinate (originally!!), we should be able to get together.... Is there anyone else in the Mid-Atlantic area who would like to join us?

In Christ,

Marsha
Meg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Getting together Reply with quote

Cool! I think that would be great! We could meet half-way, if you like, and have our first meeting with lunch! Please e-mail me at meg@slave2righteousness.com and tell me more about yourself, where you are in life, and what you're up to with Scripture memory!
It would be awesome if more people joined us! Two are better than one, though.
As for schedules, mine is fairly free these days. i only take 3 college classes and have few other commitments etched in stone.
E-mail me and we will figure something out.
Lavern
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be hard to contact him via e-mail, but the list is "active" part of the time. : ) Just recently, there have been some new posts.
Martin559

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Balance & variety in our discipleship to keep ones inter Reply with quote

To Avoid Burnout in our discipleship I think we need to note that Jesus said he is "the way, the truth, and the life".What I think this implies is that If we have equal balance between Learning Christs Commands,(way).Scripture Memorisation (truth), and how to tell Bible stories(life)-We will have achieved the balance and variety that was characteristic of Christ himself This is what it takes to keep our discipleship interesting and effective in a real world.
Below I have listed what I believe is the best example of these 3 Aspects of scripture and what ways I have found to be the best way to master these as a discipleship package.
The Way -(Learning Christs Commands) was best done by taking a free daily email from IBLP.org/dailysuccess that lasts 49 weeks and ordering the journal and pocket guide from their store for $15.If you dont have email you could get the printer Edition of this course for $50 in 7 booklets.Then copy a study question of the week and its answer into the pocket guide and take it with you wherever you go and use it.
The truth -Scripture Memorisation I described on another post how to Study ones favorite 66 chapters of the Bible a verse a day copied on a 3 by 5 inch card 1 every every morning.Then Review it monthly on a Solid state mp3 player and earphones.Have a printed list of these chapters with how they start and some outlines,Titles or summaries from youre favorite Bible commentator.I used wiersbe.Have this printed reference list in youre pocket at all times.
The Life- How to tell Bible stories.The best resource i know for this is the character Sketches books in 3 volumes cover how to tell 84 Bible stories without giving away titles or peoples names. This way it holds the attention of ones audience.This series of books is spiritual because it gives a Character lesson it is defining by each story.I would like to create my own pocket guide how to tell these stories like they tell them.
So, In summary Jesus is the Way, the truth, and the life and this variety-a discipleship in his Commands, scripture memorisation, and knowing how and when to effectively tell Bible stories that teach Character is what it means to know the Father thru Jesus.
All 3 of these sources can be caried in ones shirt pocket for ready reference in the battles of life in which one can use the sword of the Spirit- the word of God and could be reviewed monthly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PursuingLife.com Forum Index -> Staying Zealously Affected All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: